- Commemorates the Crucifixion
- Distinctive blooms all summer
- Tangy fruits for fresh eating or baking
- Fast growing once established
- Overwinter indoors as tropical houseplant
White flowers wearing a spiky crown of violet are unusual, and according to legend, commemorate the Crucifixion. Large blooms are followed by egg-shaped, deep orange fruits that have a flavor reminiscent of blackberries and are good for baking. Benefits from hoop or trellis support and enjoys full sun. Zones 8-10, but can be grown as a house or patio plant in northern areas.