Pixie Crunch® Apple Irish Cake with Warm Custard Sauce Chef Katie O'Reilly
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar plus extra to sprinkle on top
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup cold cubed unsalted butter
- 6 cups Pixie Crunch apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
FOR THE CUSTARD SAUCE
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a springform pan.
- In medium bowl, combine milk and eggs and beat until mixed well.
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add cubed butter and cubed apples to dry ingredient mixture. Mix well.
- Add egg and milk mixture until a moist, thick batter forms.
- Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter, fill the springform pan with the mixture.
- Top with light sugar topping and bake for 55 minutes until toothpick comes out without wet batter. Do not overcook. This cake is supposed to be moist.
- For the custard sauce, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, bring the milk to a light boil until bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Remove from heat, add a small amount of hot milk to egg mixture and whisk well to temper the eggs to avoid scrambling them.
- Once tempered, add egg and sugar mixture to the pan with remaining milk.
- 12. Heat, whisking continuously for 3-4 minutes until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and fold in vanilla. Serve warm over the cake.