Pixie Crunch® Apple, Potato, Leek Pie Chef Katie O'Reilly
- 6 cups Pixie Crunch apples, skinned, cored and cubed
- 6 cups golden potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 4 cups leeks, sliced and halved
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Marsala cooking wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme or bunch of fresh leaves
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 prepared refrigerated pie dough
- 1 egg
- Bring a 2-quart pot of water to a boil on the stove. Boil potatoes for 5 minutes until semisoft.
- In a sauté pan on medium-high heat, add the butter and olive oil.
- Once butter is melted, add the leeks and garlic, sauté for 10-12 minutes until leeks are soft.
- Add all ingredients (except for apples, potatoes and cheese) and cook for 3 minutes.Then add apples and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a 9x13 inch casserole pan with warm mixture.
- Unroll and slice pie dough into ½ inch thick slices and lay out on a sheet pan.
- Start by placing strips of dough about 1½ inches apart horizontally across the pie.
- Then one by one, weave in the remaining strips vertically using an over-and-under technique. Also leave a small space between. Use remaining dough for sides.
- Whisk one egg and paint the top crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cover crust with foil if it is turning brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Chef Notes: For the vegan version, replace the butter with extra olive oil and do not add cheese.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with wild-greens salad or Crunch-A-Bunch® Apple and Brussels Sprout Slaw.