- A customer favorite year after year
- Produces a week earlier than many varieties
- Bears 6-8 in. stringless pods
- Great for fresh eating, canning and freezing
- Disease-tolerant bush plants
A great bush bean for gardeners in northern climates or those who just can't wait for the start of fresh green bean season. Early Contender starts producing nearly a week ahead of most bean varieties. Bears plenty of 6- to 8-in. stringless pods that cook up tender and with a good green bean flavor. Freezes and cans with no loss of quality. Because it requires such a short season, Early Contender is also a good choice for the fall garden. Exhibits good disease and heat tolerance. Bush plants have an upright form and require no staking. Performs best when planted in full sun and in well-drained soil. 49 DAYS.